Monday, October 25, 2010

Trucking Onward

As school becomes more and more busy it's getting harder to update (also, this week is rathe boring, sorry!), but thanks for everyone who is still reading! :)

Day #30 - Monday, October 18: I woke up really early today to head to the library and finish a project that was due. I had to do research and present information on Bill Drummond, a really strange artist I was assigned. The library is amazing though! I looks like a scene out of Harry Potter! After class from 2-6:30, I relaxed for a bit and got to Skype with mom and dad for an hour. Then off to bed!
one of the amazing rooms of the library!
Day #31 - Tuesday, October 19: I woke up today with a horrible head cold and decided to stay cozyed up with books and tea today. I did venture out to get groceries, and the second I started walking out the door to walk home, it started downpouring. Of course I still haven't learned my lesson about taking an umbrella (I always think since I'll be gone for 30 minutes it won't rain...wrong again!) About half of the way home, a lady came up to me and said "It's a shame you're getting so wet!" and gave me a brand new umbrella she had in her bag! It's very rare to find nice people like this in such a large city, and I was very thankful for her help! The next time it's raining I'm going to try and give it away to someone else. The traveling umbrella of London!

Day #32 - Wednesday, October 20: Another non-exciting day...class from 10-1, and then I worked on my group film project from 1-6. By the time I got home I was exhausted, and still not feeling well, I just worked on a bit of homework and another blog for class (yay blogs!)

Day #33 - Thursday, October 21: Today was the day of fire alarms! I was woken up by one at 330 am, 745 am, and then there was another one during the day at school! I had class from 10-12 and 3-7, got home, and worked did some doodling.





Day #34 and #35 - Friday, October 22 and Saturday, October 23: Aside from having class from 2-5 on Friday, I did a whole lot of sleeping and NyQuil taking these two day. Every fall I get a horrible sinus infection and this years took full hold this weekend! Luckily it was when I didn't have class. And I'm feeling all better now :)

Day #36 - Sunday, October 24: Today I went on a River Boat Cruise down the River Thames to try and find some inspiration for a school project. I was shocked to find out that the Transport for London (which runs the underground, trams, buses, etc.) also runs a river boat service, and as a student it was really cheap!
London Eye from the river...I'd love to see it from this angle at night!

Me in front of the London Bridge...which isn't falling down!

Despite the murky, gross water, there was colorful boats and buildings all along the shore!

The river cruise dropped me off in Greenwich Village (Gren-ich). I wandered around the area and stumbled upon the Greenwhich Market, a cute little indoor market that is there every weekend. I found a couple of items for Christmas gifts for people back home (always fun to check of the list!) and had an Italian rice ball with spinach and ricotta in it, and a caramel filled churro for desert. Both were delicious!

Greenwich Market!


A quick view of the inside. Lots of interesting stands and shops! I'll be going back!

It took forever to get home from my little adventure. The boat had taken me directly there, but I had to take a bus, train, and the underground to get home! River traveling is a really smart idea and a good time saver! After I got home, I started working on my project. For anyone who is reading and would like to help me (it's an on going project through out the semester, so you can do it whenever) click here! Just click on the "READ ME FIRST" photo to get started. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Day #37 - Monday, October 25th: I had class today from 10-1, where I had to present my idea for my website (the one above). It went over really well, and I was happy with the positive feedback. I was supposed to meet up for a group project at 430, and instead of going home I decided to spend some more time in the library. Well, I now have 7 books checked out of the library! The whole library is all art and design books...something the U of M doesn't have and that I know I'm going to love having! It's great to have so many design books right at my finger tips, and for free! The library will also order any books that you request so you can check them out, so I'm going to be on the prowl for interesting books I can get for free. I got home around 630, got some dinner, and am now here updating this! Skype soon with my mom and dad, then bed.
All of my library books! Thank you amazing library!

English Language Revised!
take away - to go (they don't understand when you ask for food "to go")
jelly - jello...they have the strangest form of jello over here. it's in weird cubes, I'll take a picture the next time I see it!


1 comment:

  1. Kelsey-

    Sorry you have been under the weather with the annual fall "crud." Glad to hear that you are feeling some better.

    The traveling umbrella of London--Love the idea! Do you remember when we were all camped at Harvest Farm--probably on a Labor Day weekend--and 2 kids brought us some copper and hose to put into the campfire? They wouldn't take anything for it and just said, "Pass it on." You can continue the practice using umbrellas!

    The picture of your library is sensational. I can see why you would want to spend time there. Loved the windows. They look like they are leaded glass.

    Good find on the water transport! Now if you could just retrace your route home! Did you find yourself quietly singing "London Bridge Is Falling Down" while you were gliding along the Thames?

    So, Halloween is Sunday. All Hallow's Eve in England, right? Do you have plans? I don't know if any of them can beat the year that your dad and Dave took all 3 of you kids trick or treating while they were wearing those crazy "Busy Busy Bumblebee" hats. What a sight you all were.

    Have a good week. Keep writing. I'll send you our blog address next week. We leave for Texas on Sunday afternoon.

    Love you,
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete