Monday, November 1, 2010

An End to October

Wow, I can't believe today is the last day of October! My how time flies. Today marks the halfway point of this term, I can't believe how fast the first 6 weeks have gone! Thanks to everyone still reading :)

Mom & Dad - I'm glad you got the comments figured out! I love you both and miss you! And Cotton too!

Kathi - I don't remember the start of the copper tube, but I'm glad we got it passed to us! That's one of my favorite things to do at the campfire...that and the chimney logs. And yes, I did find myself singing London Bridge...although I did discover that the bridge was actually Tower Bridge, not London Bridge. I'll have to hunt down London Bridge some other time!

Liz - Thanks :) and thanks for reading! I hope all is well with you!

Day #38 - Tuesday, October 26: I went and worked on a group project today from noon till about 5. The whole entire day it was doing this gross sideways rain thing. I think my group members could tell I was annoyed with it, and one said "Oh don't worry, the weather only gets worse from here on out. You probably won't see the sun again before you leave for holiday." Great! Like I've said in previous posts, it is the most pathetic rain here. I want a thunderstorm, dangit! After having walked around all day in the rain, I came home soaking wet, took a warm shower and a much needed nap. Then I spend the evening working on homework!

Day #39 - Wednesday, October 27: I had class today from 2-5, got home around 6, and made tacos with Paige. Once again, their seasoning failed to be what I was thinking it was (but luckily Eric is sending me normal people taco seasoning, so once that gets here I'll be happy!) After tacos, we made some cookies. Then I had to go take some pictures quick for my group project, and spent a bit of time wandering around looking for Mac n Cheese (the previous time I was in the area I saw it in a shop but I didn't have my wallet!), but the place was closed. Headed home to work on some more homework!

Day #40 - Thursday, October 28: I had class from 10-1 today, then went to the park nearby and read for a bit before meeting Paige for lunch at a delicious pizza place right near school. I had I giant calzone for really cheap! I came home for a bit and then had a study abroad meet up at a local pub (this is the second time my school has offered to buy me alcohol, this country is ridiculous!) I stayed at the pub for a bit then came home and Skyped for a bit and worked on some more homework and my website!

Day #41 - Friday, October 29: I got up early to finish a project for class, then had class from 2-6. No one wants to be in class at 6:00 on a Friday night! I was getting a little antsy because I was going to a concert at 7:30 and was hoping I could make it! I got home and grabbed a quick dinner and went to the concert. Tonight I went to the Spaghetti Western Orchestra. They are an "orchestra" of 5 men from Australia who play western music with a crazy variety of instruments. They played a bunch of songs from Clint Eastwood movies using some tradition instruments - bass, piano, drum set, harmonica, bass clarinet, trumpet, etc - but also used unconventional things like corn flakes, a head of lettuce, bottles, and a bunch of other weird things. But it sounded amazing! It was also mixed with a story line, comedy, and audience interaction. I was very pleased with it, I had a great time. Click here to check out a video of what they do! Here's another one too!

Handout, CD, and ticket! If they ever tour North America they are a must see!

Day #42 - Saturday, October 30: Today I went to the London Zoo! It's located in Regents Park, which is by far the most gorgeous park I've been to in London. And it's huge! I loved the fall weather and fall trees. I'll share some pictures from my day. Some of my favorite exhibits were the butterfly tunnel, the monkeys, and the penguins.

River in Regents Park on my walk to the London Zoo!

I love fall!

I still love fall!

This is what chickens look like over here. No wonder their eggs look weird!

Butterfly exhibit! It was in a climate controlled tunnel, so I was right in with the butterflies!

I loved the patterns on these little guys. There were tons of them!

Another one!

Monkey!  I'm not quite sure what kind, but whatever it was, it was cute!

Another little monkey!

Mom & Dad - I thought you'd appreciate these! A little nostalgia from my childhood, I had to get some! I haven't seen a machine for these in years.
After I got home from the zoo, I went out to eat at Nando's, a chicken restaurant. It's the first place I've found in London with free refills on pop! Heaven! After dinner I dyed my hair (which I've been dying to do since before I even left to come over here...no pun intended). I had plans to go out with some friends, but they fell through so I just spent the evening relaxing. Also, I got to Skype with Eric in his new place! Congrats babe!! I'm really excited for him, and it makes it a little hard to not be home, but I know it is worth it in the end.

Day #43 - Sunday, October 31: Happy Halloween!
Halloween card from Mom and Dad :)
Today I spent the afternoon perusing the markets in Camden. They have endless street markets with endless food and shops and people. It was a bit chaotic, but I found a couple of interesting little shops. I'll definitely be heading back there to do some Christmas shopping! Also, I found apple cider, which I have been craving! No where seems to have any kind of cider that isn't alcoholic, and I was happy to find regular hot apple cider. After shopping around for a couple hours, we went to this thing called "Cupcake Camp." It's a charity event where local bakers make cupcakes, and customers buy little tickets to purchase as many cupcakes as they want. All the proceeds go to a local charity. Lots of cupcakes! I got a caramel crunch pumpkin cupcake!
cupcakecamp and cupcake!
After that, we headed back. On a side note, a new favorite game to play on Halloween weekend is "Costume or Crazy." I had a lot of fun trying to guess if people were dressed up for Halloween or just weird...and sadly I encountered a lot of people who I just couldn't tell! That's London for you, I guess.

English Language Revised!
period - full stop 

2 comments:

  1. I seriously enjoy living vicariously through you via this blog. ;) Keep having fun Kels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if you are settling into a routine. Cupcake Camp sounded like a lot of fun. We are finally settled into our spot in Texas. Dave is posting our blog on Facebook, if you want to take a peek. My favorite part so far is being by 3 donkeys and a couple of horses. One of the donkeys licked Ruby right across the nose yesterday. She was stunned! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete