Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

Day #70 - Saturday, November 27: Today I went to Bruges, Belgium! I woke up at 5:30 to be ready to leave at 6:30. I traveled to London with a tour group I found, and we took a small little 16 passenger van. We drove from London to the Chunnel, drove the van onto a train, then took the Chunnel to France, and drove off. It was weird to still be in the same car even though there was an ocean between where we just were. Then from France, we drove to Belgium. There was snow all over the country side on our way into town, it was gorgeous!

Bruges (or Brugge, as they call it in Dutch), is a small city in Belgium (about 115,000 people), and is famous in Europe for it's Christmas markets, which we went to. I later found out too that Bruges is a UNESCO World Heritage Site! The town was perfect! It was very small, had cobblestone streets throughout, was decorated for Christmas, and had Christmas music playing everywhere. It really put me in the Christmas mood. There were also horse drawn carriages constantly running throughout the city, which was fun to see and hear.  We got to Bruges around 12:30, grabbed a bradworst (bratwurst!) for lunch, which was delicious, and shopped around the little Christmas market all afternoon. I found all of the signs with Dutch on them very amusing, it is a very intriguing sounding language.  We left Bruges around 5:30pm and drove back to London. While coming back into the UK, the French border patrol reminded me of Canada (Mom, Dad, Kathi and Dave will appreciate that I'm sure).


The entrance to the Chunnel in the UK

Cute little street Bruges


Funny street sign #1: telling people to pick up their dog poop
Funny street sign #2: Absolutely no clue what this says! Something about going to kindergarden maybe?

I loved their architecture! 

Brugge Markt...Markt is Dutch for market
Scooter at dinner in Brugge with my Coca-Cola light and Dutch placemat!


Day #71 - Sunday, November 28: I slept in today, as I was was trying to recover from cold number two of the season. I did some homework, some serious power cleaning of my room and the kitchen, made Chili for dinner, skyped for a bit, and did homework for the rest of the night! Lazy Sunday accompanied with tea!

Day #73 - Monday, November 29: I had class today from 10-1, came home and took a ridiculously long nap. I spent the afternoon working on a group project (by myself nonetheless, awesome group). For this project we had to do a 3 minute sound composition of a location, and for my location I chose to do Brugge. While I was there on Saturday, I had my iPad recording all day long. It was kind of fun to go back through and re-listen to my day. It's funny what you don't hear when you are actually there. My project is a fun little keepsake from my trip. I got to iChat with mom & dad tonight, and I enjoyed it as always. Only one more iChat till I'm home mom & dad :)

Day #73 - Tuesday, November 30: Seeing as today was Tuesday, I had to honor the laziness of Tuesdays by once again sleeping in. IT SNOWED TODAY!!!!!! I went to the grocery store and it was rather humorous to see people reacting to snow. Lots of people had umbrellas, which I thought was very funny. The flakes were huge and gorgeous under the street lights, it really made me miss home! Also, after grocery shopping, I got a nice little postcard from mom and dad in the mail which I rather enjoyed. It said "IOWA...where you can hear corn grow!"

Day #74 - Wednesday, December 1: How on Earth is it already December?! I had a meeting with my course leader today at 2 to discuss how things have been going with class. He was telling me about some of the projects for next term and I'm really excited! After class I attempted to go get Starbucks, but the didn't have a card reader for my card, so I wandered around in search of Christmas socks (I'm feeling very holiday-ie and I want Christmas socks!!). After that I came home, ate, skyped for a bit, and spend the night working on my sound project about Belgium. Still fighting a cold, I headed to bed early.

Day #75 - Thursday, December 2: MORE SNOW TODAY! It was funny how slow the buses were driving today, there was like 1/4 of an inch of snow on the ground. Silly British. I had class from 10-3, and then worked on a group project from 3-5. I ran into Paige at the bus stop, and as we were talking on the bus, a lady sat down behind us and asked where we were from in America (she had hear our "accents") Paige told her Boston and I said Iowa. She took out her hand to shake mine and said "Nice to meet you, I'm from Centerville, Iowa" What a small world! We got to talking, and it turns out she went to school at Luther, got married and moved to London. How bizarre! I cam home, cleaned for a bit, and am now updating my blog!

I can't believe I come home in 11 days! I am ready to take a break from the city for a bit, and come back refreshed next year. I'll have a couple more updates before I head home, so look out for them :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kelsey!
    Your dad and Dave are both out shoveling the driveways. We got a bit of snow, but not enough to amount to anything. We were watching the NBC Nightly News last night and saw a picture taken from a satellite that showed all of Great Britain covered in snow.

    Your trip to Belgium sounded wonderful. You have to come over sometime while you are home. We want to hear more about your impressions and all about your adventures.

    Travel safely.

    ReplyDelete